Popular Posts

BUZZSPROUT EPISODES

Sunday, November 22, 2015

COMPREHENSION - POEM


Read the poem below and answer the questions that follow.
The Fog
I saw the fog grow thick
   Which soon made blind my ken;
It made tall men of boys,
   And giants of tall men.

It clutched my throat, I coughed;
   Nothing was in my head
Except two heavy eyes
   Like balls of burning lead.

And when it grew so black
   That I could know no place
I lost all judgment then,
   Of distance or of space.

The street lamps, and the lights
   Upon the halted cars,
Could either be on earth
   Or be the heavenly stars.

A man passed by me close,
   I asked my way, he said,
"Come, follow me, my friend " -
   I followed where he led.

He rapped the stones in front,
   "Trust me," he said, " and come";
I followed like a child -
   a blind man led me home.
W. H. Davis




1.
'It clutched my throat, I coughed' tells us that






(A)
the poet was suffocating because of the fog


(B)
the fog and the poet were fighting fiercely


(C)
the fog held the poet by the throat


(D)
the poet had a sore throat





2.
The following statements are true except






(A)
the fog grew so thick that the poet could not get his directions right


(B)
a blind man who was also lost came to help the poet


(C)
the fog caused the poet to see things differently


(D)
the fog hut the poet's eyes





3.
The word halted shows that the cars were probably






(A)
stolen


(B)
moving


(C)
expensive


(D)
stationary





4.
' ... the stones in front' in the last stanza refers to






(A)
the stones the blind man carried in a pouch in front of him


(B)
the stones that were lying by the side of the road


(C)
the road they were on


(D)
loose gravel





5.
The blind man could lead the poet through the fog because he






(A)
was wearing a pair of sunglasses


(B)
had been to the poet's house


(C)
had a stick with him


(D)
knew his way





6.
The last stanza of the poem tells us that






(A)
the blind man was boastful


(B)
the poet trusted the blind man


(C)
the poet could not return home


(D)
the fog had hurt the feelings of the poet

No comments:

Post a Comment