Popular Posts

BUZZSPROUT EPISODES

Friday, November 13, 2015

REPORTING VERBS IN ENGLISH


REPORTING VERBS IN ENGLISH
Say and tell are common reporting verbs.
·         Direct speech: Alice said, ‘I am not going to come with you.’
·         Indirect speech: Alice said that she was not going to come with me.
·         Indirect speech: Alice told me that she was not going to come with me.
Say and tell aren’t the only reporting verbs in English. Of course, they are the most common, but there are other reporting verbs too.
In this article, we will take a look at some not-so-common reporting verbs.
Study the examples given below.
·         Direct speech: I will help you. I promise.
·         Indirect speech: He said that he would help me.
·         Indirect speech: He promised me that he would help me. / Hepromised to help me.
The verb promise can be followed by a to-infinitive or a that-clause.
Advise
The verb advise can be followed by object + to-infinitive/that clause.
·         The doctor advised him to get rest.
·         OR The doctor advised that he should get rest.
·         I advise you to reject the offer.
·         OR I advise that you should reject the offer.
Encourage
The verb encourage can be followed by object + infinitive.
·         Our teacher always encouraged us to discuss our problems with her.
·         He encouraged her to make another attempt to pass the test.
·         The doctor encouraged him to go on a diet.
Warn
Warn can be followed by an object + infinitive
·         The teacher warned the students to work hard.
·         warned you not to bet on that horse.


No comments:

Post a Comment