Popular Posts

BUZZSPROUT EPISODES

Monday, June 5, 2017

Grammar Exercise - Unless, Providing, Provided That, And As Long As

Image result for unless
Grammar Exercise - Unless, Providing, Provided That, And As Long As 
The expressions providing, provided that and as long as have very similar meanings and are usually interchangeable. They are used before saying the conditions that make something else happen or be true. Unless is similar to if not.
Test your understanding of these expressions with this grammar exercise.
1. We can win the championship, .......................... we avoid bad injuries.
providing
Unless
2. I will leave now, .............................. there is anything left to do now.
unless
as long as
3. We can hold the party in the garden ............................. it doesn't rain.
provided
unless
4. The public will be admitted to the galleries, ........................... they make a donation.
unless
providing
5. You can keep the puppy ................................... you promise to take care of it.
as long as
provided that
6. You can take my car ............................... you drive carefully.
as long as
provided that
Either could be used here
7. I can't help you ............................ you tell me what is wrong.
unless
providing
8. I can help you ............................... you tell me what is wrong.
unless
provided that
9. He wouldn't eat anything .................................. he cooked it himself.
providing
unless
10. You can take this seat, ............................... no one has reserved it.
unless
providing
as long as
11. My parents don't care who I marry .......................... I am happy.
as long as
unless
12. You can go out now .............................. you finish your homework first.
providing
provided that
as long as
All of these
Answers
1. We can win the championship, providing we avoid bad injuries.
2. I will leave now, unless there is anything left to do now.
3. We can hold the party in the garden provided that it doesn’t rain.
4. The public will be admitted to the galleries, providing they make a donation.
5. You can keep the puppy as long as you promise to take care of it.
6. You can take my car as long as you drive carefully.
7. I can’t help you unless you tell me what is wrong.
8. I can help you as long as you tell me what is wrong.
9. He wouldn’t eat anything unless he cooked it himself.
10. You can take this seat, providing / provided that / as long as no one has reserved it.
11. My parents don’t care who I marry as long as I am happy.
12. You can go out now providing / provided that / as long as you finish your homework first.



No comments:

Post a Comment